Nonconsolidated variable interest entities
|9 Months Ended|
Sep. 30, 2015
|Organization, Consolidation and Presentation of Financial Statements [Abstract]|
|Nonconsolidated variable interest entities||
Nonconsolidated variable interest entities:
Accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America provide a framework for identifying variable interest entities (VIEs) and determining when a company should include the assets, liabilities, noncontrolling interests, and results of activities of a VIE in its consolidated financial statements. In general, a VIE is a corporation, partnership, limited-liability corporation, trust, or any other legal structure used to conduct activities or hold assets that (1) has an insufficient amount of equity to carry out its principal activities without additional subordinated financial support, (2) has a group of equity owners that are unable to direct the activities of the entity that most significantly impact its economic performance, or (3) has a group of equity owners that do not have the obligation to absorb losses of the entity or the right to receive returns of the entity. A VIE should be consolidated if a party with an ownership, contractual, or other financial interest in the VIE that is considered a variable interest (a variable interest holder) has the power to direct the VIE’s most significant activities and the obligation to absorb losses or right to receive benefits of the VIE that could be significant to the VIE. A variable interest holder that consolidates the VIE is called the primary beneficiary. Upon consolidation, the primary beneficiary generally must initially record all of the VIE’s assets, liabilities, and noncontrolling interests at fair value and subsequently account for the VIE as if it were consolidated based on majority voting interest. At September 30, 2015 and December 31, 2014, the Company held investments that were evaluated against the criteria for consolidation and determined that it is not the primary beneficiary of the investments because the Company lacks the power to direct the activities of the variable interest entities that most significantly impacts their economic performance. Therefore, consolidation in the Company’s financial statements is not required. At September 30, 2015 and December 31, 2014, the Company held the following equity investments:
Bagatelle Investors is a holding company that has interests in two operating restaurant companies, Bagatelle NY and Bagatelle LA. All three entities were formed in 2011. The Company holds interests in all three entities. The Company holds a 31.24% ownership over Bagatelle Investors as of September 30, 2015 and December 31, 2014. The Company holds a 5.23% direct ownership over Bagatelle NY and has indirect ownership through Bagatelle Investors as well as one of its subsidiaries of 45.90% for a total effective ownership of 51.13% as of September 30, 2015 and December 31, 2014. The Company holds a 5.23% direct ownership over Bagatelle LA and has indirect ownership through Bagatelle Investors as well as one of its subsidiaries of 38.10% for a total effective ownership of 43.33% as of September 30, 2015 and December 31, 2014. The Company holds a 10% direct ownership over One29 Park as of September 30, 2015 and December 31, 2014. The Company accounts for its investment in One 29 Park under the equity method since it has ability to exercise significant influence over the entity.
During the quarter and year ended September 30, 2015 and December 31, 2014, respectively, the Company provided no explicit or implicit financial or other support to these VIEs that were not previously contractually required.
The amounts presented above represent maximum exposure to loss.
Disclosures of variable interest entities (VIE) that the company is not a primary beneficiary.
No definition available.