Nonconsolidated variable interest entities
|12 Months Ended|
Dec. 31, 2015
|Equity Method Investments and Joint Ventures [Abstract]|
|Nonconsolidated variable interest entities||
Nonconsolidated variable interest entities:
Accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America provide a framework for identifying variable interest entities (VIEs) and determining when a company should include the assets, liabilities, noncontrolling interests, and results of activities of a VIE in its consolidated financial statements. In general, a VIE is a corporation, partnership, limited-liability corporation, trust, or any other legal structure used to conduct activities or hold assets that (1) has an insufficient amount of equity to carry out its principal activities without additional subordinated financial support, (2) has a group of equity owners that are unable to direct the activities of the entity that most significantly impact its economic performance, or (3) has a group of equity owners that do not have the obligation to absorb losses of the entity or the right to receive returns of the entity. A VIE should be consolidated if a party with an ownership, contractual, or other financial interest in the VIE that is considered a variable interest (a variable interest holder) has the power to direct the VIE’s most significant activities and the obligation to absorb losses or right to receive benefits of the VIE that could be significant to the VIE. A variable interest holder that consolidates the VIE is called the primary beneficiary. Upon consolidation, the primary beneficiary generally must initially record all of the VIE’s assets, liabilities, and noncontrolling interests at fair value and subsequently account for the VIE as if it were consolidated based on majority voting interest. At December 31, 2015 and 2014, the Company held the following investments which are all accounted for under the equity method:
Bagatelle Investors is a holding company that has interests in two operating restaurant companies, Bagatelle NY and Bagatelle LA. All three entities were formed in 2011. The Company holds interests in all three entities. The Company holds a 31.24% ownership over Bagatelle Investors as of December 31, 2015 and 2014. The Company holds a 5.23% direct ownership over Bagatelle NY and has indirect ownership through Bagatelle Investors as well as one of its subsidiaries of 45.90% for a total effective ownership of 51.13% as of December 31, 2015 and 2014. The Company holds a 5.23% direct ownership over Bagatelle LA and has indirect ownership through Bagatelle Investors as well as one of its subsidiaries of 38.10% for a total effective ownership of 43.33% as of December 31, 2015 and 2014. The Company holds a 10% direct ownership over One 29 Park as of December 31, 2015 and 2014. The Company accounts for its investment in One 29 Park under the equity method since it has ability to exercise significant influence over the entity.
During the years ended December 31, 2015 and 2014, the Company provided no explicit or implicit financial or other support to these VIEs that were not previously contractually required.
The amounts presented above represent maximum exposure to loss.
The summarized financial data at December 31, 2015 and 2014, of these investments is presented below:
The entire disclosure for equity method investments and joint ventures. Equity method investments are investments that give the investor the ability to exercise significant influence over the operating and financial policies of an investee. Joint ventures are entities owned and operated by a small group of businesses as a separate and specific business or project for the mutual benefit of the members of the group.
Reference 1: http://www.xbrl.org/2003/role/presentationRef