Nonconsolidated variable interest entities
|3 Months Ended|
Mar. 31, 2017
|Equity Method Investments and Joint Ventures [Abstract]|
|Nonconsolidated variable interest entities||
Nonconsolidated variable interest entities:
GAAP provides a framework for identifying variable interest entities ("VIEs") and determining when a company should include the assets, liabilities, noncontrolling interests, and results of activities of a VIE in its consolidated financial statements. In general, a VIE is a corporation, partnership, limited-liability corporation, trust, or any other legal structure used to conduct activities or hold assets that (1) has an insufficient amount of equity to carry out its principal activities without additional subordinated financial support, (2) has a group of equity owners that are unable to direct the activities of the entity that most significantly impact its economic performance, or (3) has a group of equity owners that do not have the obligation to absorb losses of the entity or the right to receive returns of the entity. A VIE should be consolidated if a party with an ownership, contractual, or other financial interest in the VIE that is considered a variable interest (a variable interest holder) has the power to direct the VIE’s most significant activities and the obligation to absorb losses or the right to receive benefits of the VIE that could be significant. A variable interest holder that consolidates the VIE is called the primary beneficiary. Upon consolidation, the primary beneficiary generally must initially record all of the VIE’s assets, liabilities, and noncontrolling interests at fair value and subsequently account for the VIE as if it were consolidated based on majority voting interest. As of March 31, 2017 and December 31, 2016, the Company held investments that were evaluated against the criteria for consolidation and determined that it is not the primary beneficiary of the investments because the Company lacks the power to direct the activities of the VIEs that most significantly impact their economic performance. Therefore, consolidation in the Company’s financial statements is not required. At March 31, 2017 and December 31, 2016, the Company held the following equity investments:
Bagatelle Investors is a holding company that has interests in two operating restaurant companies, Bagatelle NY and Bagatelle LA. All three entities were formed in 2011. The Company holds interests in all three entities. The Company holds a 31.24% ownership over Bagatelle Investors as of March 31, 2017 and December 31, 2016. The Company holds a 5.23% direct ownership over Bagatelle NY and has indirect ownership through Bagatelle Investors as well as one of its subsidiaries of 45.90% for a total effective ownership of 51.13% as of March 31, 2017 and December 31, 2016. The Company holds a 5.23% direct ownership over Bagatelle LA and has indirect ownership through Bagatelle Investors as well as one of its subsidiaries of 38.10% for a total effective ownership of 43.33% as of March 31, 2017 and December 31, 2016. Bagatelle LA was closed on June 30, 2016. The Company holds a 10% direct ownership over One 29 Park as of March 31, 2017 and December 31, 2016. The Company accounts for its investment in One 29 Park under the equity method since it has the ability to exercise significant influence over the entity.
As of March 31, 2017 and December 31, 2016, the Company provided no explicit or implicit financial or other support to these VIEs that were not previously contractually required.
In addition to the amounts presented above, the Company had receivables included in due from related parties, net in the consolidated balance sheets of $598,572 and $467,702 as of March 31, 2017 and December 31, 2016, respectively.
The entire disclosure for equity method investments and joint ventures. Equity method investments are investments that give the investor the ability to exercise significant influence over the operating and financial policies of an investee. Joint ventures are entities owned and operated by a small group of businesses as a separate and specific business or project for the mutual benefit of the members of the group.
Reference 1: http://www.xbrl.org/2003/role/presentationRef